OverseasJobs.com's Guide To Working Abroad

Finding, and preparing for, a job overseas can be daunting. OverseasJobs.com has gathered the information and resources you will need to make the transition to working abroad a bit less overwhelming.




The Skinny on Work Visas in the USA

Do you want to work in the United States? There are several necessary steps you must take in order to get approval to work in the U.S. Be sure to confirm that you have the proper working papers before applying with OverseasJobs.com employers in the US. Your employer or sponsor must then submit a request for a working permit - only then can you apply for your visa.

We've listed below several types of temporary work visas for persons who want to work in the United States for a fixed period of time, and are not considered permanent or indefinite. Each of the below visas requires the prospective employer to first file a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. An approved petition is required to apply for a work visa. More information, including a complete list of work visas and the steps necessary to submit your application for a visa, can be found at the U.S. Department of State's Travel.State.Gov website.

Non-Immigrant (Temporary) Work Visas

  • J-1 Visa (Exchange Visitor's Visa) - For individuals approved to participate in work-and study-based exchange visitor programs. Allows you to work up to 4 months. Once you obtain a Form DS-2019 from a Sponsor, you may apply for an exchange visitor J-1 visa at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in your country of residence. More information can be found at http://j1visa.state.gov/
  • F-1 Visa - for students attending a full-time degree or academic program at a school, college or university. The F-1 Visa is valid for as long as it takes the student to finish his or her course of study. An F-1 Visa also allows students to work on campus and in some situations even off campus.
  • M-1 Visa - for students enrolled in non-academic or "vocational study." The M-1 Visa is valid for one year, but students may apply for extensions for up to three years.
  • H-1B Visa - Person in Specialty Occupation: To work in a specialty occupation. Requires a higher education degree or its equivalent. Includes fashion models of distinguished merit and ability and government-to-government research and development, or co-production projects administered by the Department of Defense.
  • H-2A Visa - Temporary Agricultural Worker: For temporary or seasonal agricultural work. Limited to citizens or nationals of designated countries, with limited exceptions, if determined to be in the United States interest.
  • H-2B Visa - Temporary Non-agricultural Worker: For temporary or seasonal non- agricultural work. Limited to citizens or nationals of designated countries, with limited exceptions, if determined to be in the United States interest.


For more information on International employment:
AboutJobs.com Tips for International Employment: What You Must Know
The AboutJobs.com Country-By-Country Guide: For Work Permit and Visa Information


Working in the United States
What you'll need: visa, work permit

Remember, a visa does not guarantee entry into the country. Before you can apply for a visa, your employer must receive approval for a work permit (employment authorization document). Detailed information on US work visas is available online at: http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_1750.html. We also strongly suggest that you contact your local consulate or embassy for more information.



Canadian nationals Embassy of the US in Canada
UK nationals Embassy of US in UK
Australian nationals Embassy of US in Australia
All nationals Temporary Work Visas
  Department of State (Bureau of Consular Affairs)
  Bureau of Citizenship